Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ack! Our fish are having fish!

Sunday morning Katie was looking at her tank and said, "Mama, there's a baby fish in the tank." I asked her if she was sure it wasn't a piece of food and she was pretty adamant about it being a baby fish. JC went over to look and told me to come over, there definitely was a baby fish in the tank.

One baby fish. Do you see it coming?

Now, not having known fish to have one offspring and call it a day, I looked at JC and said quietly, I'm guessing there were more. He agreed. After they had walked away from the tank, I witnessed what can only be described as a convergence of half our tank in the corner that the baby had been swimming in. There was a lot of darting, pushing, chasing and then... no baby. Eek.

Katie was very upset with the fish that ate the baby - and I mean MAD not sad - and is planning on figuring out which one it was and putting them on punishment. Why are you asking me that? I don't know what kind of punishment you put fish on or how she's going to determine who should be punished. She may interrogate them, I have no idea.

We will be on the lookout for pregnant bellies (do fish have those?) so we can try to avoid the feeding frenzy in the future. I wonder how many males/females are in that tank? You know we buy them in pairs..... Fishy





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize with Katie. When I was playing my Zoo Tycoon game on the computer, I had some snow lepoards in my zoo. They had babies and then to my horror I saw one of the adults cats stalking a baby cat. It killed it:(
Now granted this was virtual and a game, but still I didn't like it one bit. So you what I did. I adopted that adult cat right out of my zoo. I figure, hey if your going to attack babies you don't belong in my zoo. So Katie, you go girl:) You find that killer fish and put it in time out or whatever you do to punish fish.

Libby said...

well...katie could always put it out of the tank on the middle of the floor to punish it? lol!